Is There Such a Thing as an Audiophile Cassette Deck?

September 3, 2018
#271

Gentle reader,

It's been a few weeks since my last article. Your response was incredible and it sparked a lot of debate between the "wire is wire" people and those that have experienced an audible difference with trying better quality wires and cables. This one is not going to be controversial, but perhaps it may be...........
Above is the JVC KD-V6 cassette deck which I have had for many years. It is as close to "being there" as cassette technology could get to back then. It sold for $620.00 new which is over $1,400.00 today! I had two Denon decks prior. All three are three head decks. What does that mean?
If you look carefully, above, you will see the Erase Head (above and to the left of the nut with red on it) and in the center are TWO heads where one usually resides. The left half is the Record Head and the right is the Playback Head. Thus, this is an image looking into a Three-Head Cassette Deck.
Below are a number of photographs of cassette decks that I have owned and enjoyed since the 1970's. It is not a complete list, because it never occurred to me that there would ever be a time when ordinary stereo equipment would become a hobby beyond listening to music with. And thus, it never occurred to me to take pictures of the components and KEEP the photos.
Above and below are film images made prior to the digital age. The picture is from around 1995 which is when I bought my first 35mm camera (I was 39 at the time).
I cannot tell you what the brands are of those two nor the integrated amp below them or the turntable either. That amp was acting as a power amplifier with my 1976 Dynaco PAT-5 which I built from a kit as preamp.  
Above is a Technics model, but the image is too small to read the model number. It is an auto-reverse deck which was quite the great invention then.
After having joined the Dark Side, one of the Denon 3-head decks is seen here, above. At the time, this whole kit sat next to where I am sitting as I type this.

These decks below are in no particular order.
Denon DRM-510 above, DR-M20 below. Both 3-heads.

JVC TD-V711, above, is the one with the three heads I showed you above. Below, another JVC, is an auto-reverse, model number: TD-R441.

One of the few LUXMAN products which I have enjoyed, above, is a 2-head deck, model number: K-111.
Above, an Onkyo, is a Three-MOTOR deck. That means one motor for each capstan (those thin silver posts that fit in the holes of cassette tapes) and one for fast-forward and reverse. But it is still a 2-head deck. Model # TA-2044, I believe.
"It's a SONY!" Was one of their advertising tag lines. To my knowledge, all SONY tape recorders model numbers started with TC. This auto-reverse unit is no exception: TC-FX420R.
I love the wooden case on this vintage TEAC deck. It is a V-95RX. It has dbx encoding ability in addition to Dolby. Full featured as it is, it is still a 2-head deck.
A Technics M224 is this one, above. Has those often sought after VU meters. Not as responsive as LEDs are, but who hasn't enjoyed watching them dance to the music?

We now come to the latest unit which I found on Saturday at a SAVERS store locally. I tested three decks between it and Goodwill that day, and it was the only one which worked. Plus is is a heavy sucker!
I really should add a small pair of headphones to my testing kit, but watching the LEDs move back and forth, I was confident that it would sound fine.




Nice and readable labels for the RCA terminals, unlike most which have plastic back panels. It also features a separate power cable socket which allows one to upgrade if they wish. 

I fortunately DO carry a power cable for situations like this. 

You may be thinking, "But it's a dual-deck and auto-reverse, how can he think it is 'audiophile'?"
Let me address your concerns. The first clue was it's substantial weight of twelve pounds. I opened it up when I got it home to see if they might have added weights to it. Nope, it's the thicker gauge sheet steel they made it out of. The better to damp vibrations, I believe. Oh, and the $420.00 price in 1987! That equates to $950.00 in today's money!
The other thing is how it sounds. Which is fantastic! Even though I have it for sale on eBay right now, I am sorely thinking of keeping it and putting my Fisher unit on eBay in it's place. rfcollectin | eBay

As you no doubt are aware, like the resurgence of LP production, cassette tapes and their players are all the rage once again. Perhaps the movie Guardians of the Galaxy may have something to do with it?

Like many of you, I never stopped listening to the many formats of recorded music. I once had reel-to-reel tapes, but no more. There are those that swear they were/are the ultimate for pure sounding music reproduction. I never had a really good (three-head) deck, to confirm or deny that claim.

Aside from over 2000 LPs and 1000 CDs, I also have almost 100 cassettes, (way down from the total I have bought over the years) plus HDCDs and SACDs. I have only had one DVD-Audio disc, Henry Mancini's excellent score to The Pink Panther second of the series of Peter Sellers' incredibly funny film about the bumbling French police detective, Inspector Clouseau. DVD-Audio and SACDs have competed just as other audio and/or video formats have for market domination.

It may be partly my age, 62 at this writing, but most cassette tapes which I play sound very good to me. I admit that I prefer to listen with Dolby off. I need all the treble I can get.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Thanks once again for taking the time to read my words and view my photographs. Keeping this vintage audio equipment working and in circulation is both a passion to me as well as a hobby.

Scott

September 3, 2018
#271 
 

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoying your column. You need to include the 3 head HK CD491, Onkyo TA2090 and Nakamichi Dragon and R505 in your cassette deck list.. I owned the Onkyo, and worked with the CD491 and the JVC KDV6, all amazing decks.. The HK and the Onkyo would make tapes of CDs that were indistinguishable from the original CD..they were THAT good. You had the Onkyo 2044, but the TA2056 and TA2058 3 head machines were also amazing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, there are a lot of good decks out there that I'd love to have. My latest, to match all the other components in the series, is a Yamaha KX-500U. It is a three-motor two head unit that works flawlessly and sounds great.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Scott

      Delete
  2. Back in the day, the Nakamichi 1000 was the Holy Grail of cassette decks. The Pioneer CT-900 was another truly top-of-the-line cassette deck, probably equal in performance to the Nakamichi. I owned one of each back when cassettes were still a popular format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Nakamichi CD player (2nd one of that brand I've had) that I love. I'd love to have a Dragon cassette, but am on a limited budget.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Scott

      Delete

Review of AIYIMA T2 6K4 Tube Preamplifier Can this Solid Little Asian Beauty Sing?

  March 20, 2024 #477 Gentle reader, This video takes over from the previous one here:  The Robb Collections: UPDATE Inexpensive Chinese-Mad...