PROTON Audio, NAD and Dynaco are Cousins. Inventor of Dynamic Power on Demand Amplifiers.

July 11, 2018
#257
Updated August 29, 2021
Foreign language brochure, shows AA-1200 power amp.

Gentle reader,

This article has become my most popular. I thank you, dear reader for that. I just found on eBay, an AA-1660 six channel power amplifier. Photos are below.

As you know, I have been into good stereo equipment on a budget since 1976 when, at 19, I built a Dynaco PAT-5 preamplifier and a pair of SWTPC Tiger .01 60 watt mono power amplifiers. For speakers, a pair of floor-model Dynaco A-25s. Turntable was a B.I.C 940 with walnut base, smoke dust cover and whatever cartridge came with it.

Since I came across blogger.com, and tried my hand at this blogging thing, to my surprise people like what I write about. A lot of people. So thank you for taking the time to read my humble words and view my photos.

NOTE: Almost all of the photos in this article were culled from Internet searches and from eBay active auctions. IF you made any of these photos, please let me know so that I can credit you. 

ALSO NOTE: If reading on a PC, if one clicks on any photo, a window opens in front of this page and one can click or use their arrow keys to see the photos larger.

This is a long article, but if you are interested in PROTON or have never heard of it, bear with me as I open your eyes to this unique company that made some truly remarkable components, many of which are highly sought after to this day.

 
Those of us in the home audio community are no doubt familiar with NAD components. I had a receiver they built. NAD is an abbreviation for New Acoustic Dimension.  NAD components were built in Taiwan, a Chinese country on a large island south of China. Mainland China is not happy that Taiwan continues to refuse to rejoin the mainland country. But this article is about stereo equipment and not geopolitics.
Above shows a NAD receiver I once owned.  
This is the back of it. Keep this image in mind when viewing later photographs of PROTON equipment. Below is a NAD receiver, which I did not own, but am including for reference. Compare it's rear view to the PROTON D540 shown further below.
NAD is well respected as is Dynaco which is a much older company and originally American. PROTON came about in the early 1980's and were built in the same factory as NAD equipment, but of course they were completely different circuits and products.

My 2002 Orion Blue Book on Audio lists 77 separate PROTON items. They also list a great number (33, I just counted) Dynaco by PANOR components which were later also made in the same factory. I wrote about that here:


Yet, my research for the three-part article on PANOR, the company that produced the 1990's Dynaco equipment, also from the same factory, revealed far less devices that actually made it to the public. Those articles and all the rest of my articles on Stereo equipment can be found here:

EVERY Blog Article I Have Ever Written and Illustrated About Stereo Equipment and Speakers Galore!

So where am I going with all of this? Glad you asked. I discovered PROTON equipment quite by accident, or should I say, in the usual way: on eBay. I was looking for a preamplifier and came across a PROTON D540 integrated amplifier which, like the NAD receiver above, could be electrically separated into a preamplifier, power amplifier or perhaps both at once.
If you are noticing a trend here of photos showing more of the top than the front of these components, you are correct. The hardest thing to photograph are black or shiny, due to reflection of the flash causing glare on part of the face and darker to the sides.
Note the similarities with this rear view and that of the NAD? Same: ground screw, gold phono terminals, white stripes between RCA terminals, same "U" jumpers between preamp and power amp section.

Dynamic Power on Demand, as mentioned above, is a PROTON invention.  A contemporary review from Stereo Review magazine by Julian Hirsch which completely explains the way it works. In the article he said, "The Proton D540 is not only the most powerful '40-watt' amplifier we have used, it is one of the few of any rating whose capabilities begin to encompass the dynamic properties of live music." I wrote about that here:


PROTON went on and built on their fantastic circuits putting them in separate Power Amplifiers as well. Starting with the AA-1150 in 1987. 50 watts-per-channel with the DPD circuitry produced instantaneous clean power upwards of 500+ watts to handle crescendos with aplomb.
Isn't it lovely? Everyone loves VU or watt meters and these babies look so good with green back-lit markings. Sadly, I have not been able to afford any PROTON power amplifier. But have had two D540 units and can testify to the accuracy of the claims (and test results) of the DPD circuits. It works as advertised and no discernible distortion could I hear.
According to Orion, they made a total of seven power amplifiers including one 4-channel, one 5-channel and one 6-channel model. Those that appear in searches, and I've only seen stereo ones, go for big prices. Their DPD legend precedes them.
To further touch on the DPD circuits, let's look inside a D540 amplifier. Note the two transformers above, on the right, and two sets of capacitors? One is for class A up to 40 wpc. The second set is for DPD 41 watts and higher to an astounding 530 watts!
Below, shows the two sets of transistors mounted beneath the curved heat sink. Small pairs are for Class A use, larger pairs are for DPD use. 

Now, I'm going to show you photos of every PROTON component that I have owned and/or found in my research for this article. There are a number of them.
 AD-630 cassette deck. Ever seen anything like this?

A trio of components: AT-470 tuner, AC-420 CD player and AM-455 integrated amp.
AT-300 tuner atop AM-300 integrated amp. Look how similar their faces are. Not a knob to be seen.
Unlike the D540, these two integrated amps lack the DPD circuits invention. They are not separated into preamp/power amp sections either. Note, they DO have three-way binding/banana speaker terminals which the D540 lacks.
Above, AD-200 cassette, cheapest model. Seller still had the original box and claimed it was brand new.
 Most commonly found on eBay, the AD-300 cassette.
 AD-720 cassette above. Odd looking, isn't it?
 AD-720B cassette, above.
 AD-740 cassette, above. I believe it is top-of-the-line.
This, the AC-300II CD player was mine, the black anodizing has faded over time.
 AC-420 CD player, above.
AC- 620 CD player, above.
Blurry, AM-300 integrated amp, (above) has DPD. Below is the rear which has the desirable (at least to me) three-way binding/banana speaker terminals.

 (No prefix) 520 Integrated amp, above and two below.
  520 does not have DPD and has cheap spring terminals.
 540 integrated amp below. No DPD.

 Two rear views of the 550. Seller had RCA cables instead of "U" plugs. Note, again, cheap spring speaker terminals.
AM-452 Integrated amp, above and below, very basic.

 AM-656 integrated amp, above and below.
AM-656 has DPD and 3-way speaker terminals. Note differences below compared to the D540 integrated amp's layout. Similar to AA-1200 power amp's layout.
Next, more photos of Power Amplifiers. Remember, so far, I have only been able to find photos of STEREO amplifiers. 
Starting with more pictures of an AA-1150. Top shows tell-tale sticker on the left proclaiming it has DPD.


Interior of AA-1150 is simpler than the AA-1200. Still, two toroidal transformers, one to supply the Class A to 50 watts the second to go up from there when DPD kicks in.

Externally, the AA-1200 is almost identical to the AA-1150. Yet, the 1200 is Class A all the way to 100 watts per channel.
Here is another look at the cover of the brochure at the top of the article to show the AA-1200 interior. I cropped it for more detail.
Below, are photos of a rare SIX channel PROTON AA-1660 power amplifier which, as of August 29, 2021 is for sale on eBay. These are these are the sellers photos.

Now, for the photos of the TWO Preamplifiers I could find. One, the 1100 was mine. The other one, is the AP-2000.







They listed it as untested. I assume it was made for home theater use with a heretofore unseen six channel preamplifier/tuner.

The 1100 preamplifier came out in 1985 and is very complete and well laid out. The important Infrasonic filter is there as is the ability to record one source while listening to another. Plenty of inputs including two tape/CD-R loops and two pairs of outputs. Note the two white stripes like the NAD units and the same phono ground screw.

Note variable capacitance for phono cartridges.
I used every set of input terminals, too. I do not know what the high output terminals are for as an owner's manual is rare as hen's teeth. The are shown in larger detail, below.

 The three AC terminals came in handy.

The AP-2000 came out in 1993. It is similar, but different than the 1100. Some controls do the same job. The rear is similar but lacking switchable phono circuits and they have a third set of outputs, the third, due to the small size of this picture is unreadable.
Now, for stereo receivers for which there is not many photos available. SOME incorporated the DPD circuitry, but most did not. 
Whomever photographed this 930 receiver took lots of carefully composed photos. These are a few of them.
Only three inputs (plus tuner). Note it can be "separated" by removing the "U" jumpers.
Clean, uncluttered design, typical of PROTON.

Cheap spring terminals for speaker wire is a bummer. And look at how crowded it is inside. Single transformer denotes lack of DPD circuitry.
Next is the AV-300 receiver, I thought that prefix stands for Audio-Video, but it is a simple, yet DPD equipped stereo receiver.
Central window for LED display, of those I've seen for sale, all are faint and mostly unreadable. Note the total LACK of knobs and rotary controls.
 Proper three-way speaker terminals.
DPD sticker tells all that this is no ordinary receiver.
 Note phono inputs for both MM and MC cartridges.

The D940 receiver is also DPD equipped. Sadly, it has the same speaker terminals as the D540 integrated amplifier, they LOOK like they accept banana plugs, but they do not. Only bare wires can be used. BOTH came out the same year and have identical specs. The D940 of course includes an AM/FM tuner which makes it a receiver.
Orion Blue Book lists eleven receivers, yet I could only find photos of these two.  
Next, we look at a few tuners, including one that tuned in TV audio. I suspect to add to a system to incorporate stereo broadcasts.

Tuner 420 is purely analog with few controls. The rear is equally spartan.

 Tuner 440 is digital and mimics other PROTON products.

Above and below is the 600 TV tuner, a departure from the AM/FM variety to say the least.
PROTON did make televisions as well, so it is understandable they might make this too. They also produced clock-radios, a table radio with optional second speaker, under cabinet radio/CD players for the kitchen and other electronics.

I was intrigued by their all-in-one receivers, which unlike competitors, are full-size-17-inch-wide units and are VERY heavy! I've had three and the best was the last, the AI-3000 II model. They have a stereo tuner, amplifier, auto-reverse cassette deck and CD player. So, perhaps AI stood for All Included. Plus, they included a pair of quality speakers.

They were EXPENSIVE with the first model (in 1988) retailing for $1,300.00! The Series II was less at only $1,000.00, it came out in 1991. The AI-3200 came out in 1992 and was more compact and a relative bargain at $800.00.

This is the first model and one that I purchased. Almost all of them have lost the door that covers the controls at the bottom. This door also has the name and model number on it.
The first model is identified by the simpler rear panel with most of the devices to right of center.
They DO have three-way speaker terminals.

Below is the AI-3000II model. It is complete and everything works! See the normally missing door is there and still works.
Note the added on box (below) on the left? That is to fit the larger transformer. The CD player is of better quality as well. It came complete: AM antenna, remote control, owner's manual, everything except the speakers.

I believe that these are the speakers that came with the AI systems. A seller had them brand new, still in the box!


 Sadly, they need to be re-foamed.

I came across the following photos just recently which spurred me to write this article.
Here 'tis the ultra-rare AI-3200 all-in-one receiver. They made it smaller with a smaller cassette transport and other shrinkable items. And left out some things the others have.

Two inputs, neither for phono nor a pre-out pair of RCA terminals which could be used with a subwoofer.
Lastly, the rest of the catalog! I bought it from someone in Hungary, but the address is in the Netherlands and it seems to be German, but not. So, can anyone tell me what language it's in?

I was told today (June 26, 2021) this: "By the way the pricelist from Proton above is in Dutch, prices are in Florins (1 EUR = app. Fl.2,20)" You can use a Currency Conversion web site to convert to your money.
I chose full-sized for these images, but we cannot see them as such. I have no "device" to view my blog on, but on a PC, if one clicks on any photo, a window opens in front of this page and one can click or use their arrow keys to see the photos larger.

Below is page two. It tells about PROTON and some of the unique aspects of them. "PROTON - FOR THE MUSIC".
First components shown are preamplifiers atop power amplifiers. AP 100 preamp, D 1200 power unit. Then P 1100 preamp and AA 1150 power amp.

Page three shows the D540 integrated amplifier with DPD. Then the AM 300 integrated amplifier, followed by the AM 200 integrated amplifier. At the bottom is the DPD equipped P940 receiver. Finally at the bottom is the AV 300 receiver.
Page four shows three tuners and three cassette decks. Tuners are: P 440, AT 300 and AT 200. Cassette decks are P 740, AD 300 and AD 200.
Lastly, is a price list with "f" instead of the Dollar or Pound symbol. Again, I have no idea what language it's in.
That's it! That is all I have on PROTON components. Please feel to look at other articles I have written by clicking this link:
EVERY Blog Article I Have Ever Written and Illustrated About Stereo Equipment and Speakers Galore!  

Thanks for looking!

Scott

Updated August 29, 2021

#257
 
 
 

57 comments:

  1. Thank you for uncovering The Proton AI 3200.I am an owner of a D940,AV 646 ,AV 445 as well as a slew of NAD products.Too,thank you for the catalog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Scott

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. I used to have the 440 Tuner and the 600T TV tuner. The reason why Proton and NAD were so similar is because they shared the same manufacturing and designs.. The Proton 440 was near clone of the NAD 4155. Let me share more information. I was working in at a mid-fi AV store in LA. We received Proton products at one point including the 440 and they had the NAD silk sreening visible on the back panels under the black paint and new Proton silk screening. They were terrific products except the cassette decks which suffered from a ridiculously high defect rate. The Proton TV monitors.. my god they were awesome.. They took Matsushita's (Pansonic) great tubes and tweaked them harder and the results were GLORIOUS. Black levels, Reds, Blues... High resolution.. They were the best consumer tube TVs out there for several years..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that about the TVs.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Scott

      Delete
  3. I have the AC 442 CD Player have had it for about 15 years now ,it is has been in regular use all that time. A very pleasant listen, I use it in a vintage system, bought it from a charity shop for a song.
    This very day I tracked down an original remote for it. Very well made, been dog reliable never any issues, tray opens and closes like it was still new. It is heavy and does not slide around like a lot of it's feather light contemporary's, every time you touch them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good! CD players often develop problems as they age. Good to hear yours has not.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Scott

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the wonderful article containing so much information! I found it with a Google search when I found a Proton AA-1150 at the thrift store for $9.99! Best. Find. Ever. I've set it up with my Technics SL-210 and a little Preamp and it sounds incredible through a pair of Klipsch KG 4.5s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I can top that. I found a pair of small black speakers at a thrift shop. A brand I'd never heard of. I said that to the man, since they had no price sticker. "Ten bucks OK?" I brought them home and looked them up: Spendor LS3/5A BBC monitor speakers. Sold for $1,300 a pair starting in 1985. I sold them on to a fellow in Hong Kong for $1,100.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Scott

      Delete
  5. Nice article, thank you for that! It just missed some information about my own AA-2120 which is a dual mono design and has two transformers, but is not a DPD amplifier.
    Oh, and a small correction - neither the AA-1150 nor the AA-1200 are Class A amps, they run in AB just like almost every other amplifier out there. Their unique feature is DPD, not Class A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Scott

      Delete
  6. Prices in catalogue are "florin", ex Holland / (now only) Netherland money. It was rated 10% less than DEM (deutche mark). All before they all jumped into Euro. Sorry for bad english...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoran, Thank you for the information. Your English is MUCH better than my Dutch.

      Delete
  7. I loved me some Proton. I had the Am-656,At-670,Ac-620. they all had matching rotating door that hid function buttons..These units had a rear cover that hid all the wiring from view. I also had the matching stand that also had channel for hiding the wiring..also had a Ai2000 (ebay find) and still currently have a Ai3000....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed those that I owned. My problem, since solved, is that I would find something new and buy it, then sell what I had. I stopped buying things and now, Proton prices have risen to where I can't afford the good stuff.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your kind words and sharing the article.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Scott,

    thanks for the great article.

    I'm about to get a Proton AA-1150 from a friend and i'm looking for a Proton P1100 pre-amp or a compatible pre-amp?

    Can anyone suggest which pre-amp I can match?

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the 1100 preamp and it worked well. See if you can find one. For a different brand, the Dynaco PAT-5 is excellent too.

      Delete
  10. Hi there. I'm looking for a Proton AM-10 electronic diagram. Do you have any idea where I can find it? Thanks for your Proton Saga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the service manual will do? https://www.audio-high-store.com/proton-am-10/

      Delete
  11. Hi, Thank you for reading my blog. As you know, Proton gear is rare nowadays. Try a search on eBay and click or tap "Save Search" that way eBay will e-mail you when one comes up for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scott,

    Great article and Proton info, but I will add an interesting unicorn to this Proton 1200 story.

    The Acoustic Research AR P-10 amplifier has the same dual mono internals of the Proton 1200. You can download the service manual from https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/acoustic-research/p-10.shtml and you will see the Proton 1200 stamp on page 6 as well as compare the internal layout. Plus, the specs list its dynamic power output of 1200 watts @ 2 ohms. Oddly, I do not remember that as a selling point back then as it could have been an agreement with Proton. I do have the original brochure, I will have to check. Also like the Proton 1200, it weighs a mighty 42 pounds.

    It's a true unicorn because not many were made, and not many realize the true manufacturer but is loved by the few that have owned one.

    Interesting history.

    Ed Colon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ed,

    Thanks for reading this article. It is the most popular one I have written. I did not know any of that. Thanks for sharing.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  14. I Have Drived A Proton Combo 1200 Whith A Proton Preamplifier Married Whith Cabasse Clipper Very Very Very Loud Great Peaks Sensational Sound Kann Go Sturdy Loud That All Neighbours And All Quartier Kann Listen Too.Thanks For This Great Pub Info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Yes, I regret selling my Proton D540. It WOULD go really loud, great invention they made.

      Delete
  15. I own a D1200 and a P1100 from Proton.
    Recently I had them revised, capacitors replaced, LED's from VU meter replaced and everything cleaned and tested.
    It costed me EUR 700,00 but I am glad I did, the soud is great again.
    Now just trying to sell my Music Fidelity M6 that I used when the Protons were serviced.
    The speakers I use are Translator References (Dutch designer).
    Together with my Denon 1560 everything is "vintage".
    Furthermore a Z90 modified Sonos streamer and a Burson DAC.
    By the way the pricelist from Proton above is in Dutch, prices are in Florins (1 EUR = app. Fl.2,20)
    If someone is interested I have some digital stuff from Proton D1200 en P1100 and could mail it (wiring plans, manual etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ron, I have a D1200 that is working fine, and according to my friend who services pro audio gear the giant output capacitors test fine, but I'm worried about what would happen if one or more of them failed. Did you replace those with new caps, and if so where did you find them in a size that fits?

      I have the LED upgrade for the meters, and the other essential mod: chassis mounted RCA jacks. For such an incredible piece of gear it's amazing that the stock RCA inputs were soldered to the board. Mine were loose when I acquired the unit (from ebay).

      Delete
    2. Hi Ron, I just came to this page after getting a notification about a new commment. Was hoping you would have seen my question about replacement for the large capacitors in the D1200. Still trying to figure out how to source them in a size that fits. Everything out there is either counterfeit Hitachis or too big to fit. I would also be interested in your digital stuff for that amplifier. Thanks in advance!

      Delete
  16. Ron,
    Thanks for reading my blog! This particular article is one of the most read ones. Sound's like an awesome system. Someone else had told me the Florins info, I should add what you wrote to the story. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

  17. Hello.

    i have owned a d540 and i miss it. I will certainly buy a 520 to go with kef 303. I always have in my possession brochures in French and price in francs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog. This is the most popular article. I too mine mine, they are getting harder to find now. Partly my fault I suppose.

      Delete
    2. I bought the proton 520, I hope it will go with the kef 303. Sensitivity: 86dB

      Delete
  18. hello, do you have more information on the proton am300. I can have one for cheap, but a big revision is to be expected thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred, All I know is that it is rated at 30 watts per channel.

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello,

    I have owned the Proton 600-T tv tuner, the matching 19" Proton monitor, and presently own 2 D940 receivers. The tuner/monitor combination had the best resolution available in the mid '80s. I remember watching news casts and being able to see the imperfections on the news anchor's skin. One feature of the D940 receiver that hasn't been mentioned is the switch on the back of the panel that allowed you to bridge the power amplifier doubling the power and headroom available. I use one receiver's pre-amp to supply it's bridged power amp for one channel and the other D940 in bridged form drives the second channel. These are connected to a pair of DCM Time Windows. I've never dared turn the volume up beyond 1/2 way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Thank you for reading my blog. I am glad you are such a Proton fan. I have never tried bridging an amp, even though I have read that it is safe to do so. I had some DCM Timeframes and a pair of KX12s. Both good sounding speakers.

      Delete
  21. Nice blog but I have to make a technical correction that you and other bloggers with little technical knowledge keep getting wrong. All the Proton amps with DPD like the D540 and AA1150 are class AB amps.Even on the write up for the D540 (which i've had for 34 years and have serviced myself) shows where you misunderstand the DPD circuit. Those two smaller transistors on the heatsinks are NOT class A amplifiers. They are the high speed switches that connect the high voltage power supply rails to the output transistors when the DPD circuit activates. The two transformers are not dedicated as one for high power and one for low power. The transformers are configured such, that one supplies the lower (+38V) and higher (+76V) voltages for the positive power supply rail and the other supplies the lower (-38V) and higher (-76V) voltages for the negative power supply rails. I've also seen othe bloggers and forum posters state that the transformers are "dual mono"....nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, Thank you for your information. While my career was working on electric vehicles and their many systems, I have never studied audio equipment. I built a Dynaco PAT-5 preamp kit and two SWTPC Tiger mono amp kits in 1976. While my builds were successful, I could not troubleshoot them had they failed.

      Delete
    2. I've been working in the aerospace industry for the last 30+ years but have always enjoyed repairing audio "on the side" so to speak. Getting hold of the service manuals always help. One of the ways to see if an amp is class AB is to look at the output transistors. If you have an NPN and PNP output pair, it'll be a class AB. The only adjustment in the D540 (aside from a level adjust in the pre-amp section) is the idle current which basically determines how much the transistors will conduct on the positive and negative swing of the AC signal.The NPN transistor should amplify just a little more than 180 degrees of the positive portion of the signal and the PNP a little more than 180 degrees of the negative signal. The overlap reduces or eliminates the crossover distortion. To little current and you get crossover distortion (little to no overlap). To much and you reduce the amps efficiency (to much overlap).

      My only gripe with the D540 are the input/recording source selector switches. They're virtually sealed so spraying deoxidizer spray doesn't do much. I actually submerged my switch PCB in the stuff to penetrate and you still have to regularly excersize the switches to prevent one or both channels from dropping out. The other nit pick is after 33+ years a lot of the solder joints were cracking causing noise, pops and dropouts. I rebuilt the entire power amp section with NOS GENUINE Sanken power transistors and the Motorola driver transistors. With a matching 440 tuner and 2 matching 740 tape decks plus a vintage Sony CDP-590 CD player, BSR EQ-3000 equalizer in the preamp loop and technics SLB-200 belt driver turntable, it makes for a hell of a "retro" 2.0 sound system...all refurbished and calibrated to factory spec by me : )

      Delete
    3. Dave, Thank you for reading my blog! Your knowledge of the workings of amplifiers far exceeds mine. I've been in this hobby since 1976, starting by building a Dynaco PAT-5 kit and two SWTPC Tiger .01 60 watt mono amps. I've tried hundreds of components and countless speaker pairs in all those years. I have been (finally) happy with my system for some years now. That, plus the halcyon days of finding cool electronics in thrift stores are over.

      Delete
  22. Great article, thank you! Any info,e tc on the AP-400P dual mono pre amp and AA-461Pro dual power amp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johan, Those are new model numbers to me. All my research is done online and looking for photos, articles and eBay items.

      Delete
  23. hello.
    after 25 years I am again owner of a d540. bought used 30 €. good the two large capacitors are out of service. they swelled and started to explode. I hope there will be nothing else serious. Finally here I am happy. If another question, with the serial number can we know the year of production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred, Capacitors going bad is one of the main pitfalls of old electronics. As Proton the company, no longer exists, there is no way to determine serial numbers verses production years.

      Delete
    2. do you have a capacitor reference, 4 pins 10000uf 80v for the d540. or another possible one. thank you

      Delete
  24. hello. I changed all the large electrochemical capacitors and the small ones. the good news is that it works. just one phono side where there is no sound. too bad we can't put pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's too bad, Fred. Old electronics can be a challenge to keep working.

      Delete
  25. I have a Proton AM-300 Stereo Amplifier, and have had it since I purchased it in 1987. Even have the manual that it came with. It's always worked well until 2 years ago when it just "died". I phoned a stereo replair place and although they weren't all that familiar with Proton, they told me to bring it down. When i arrived, the technician plugged it in, and lo and behold! it worked!. He told me to bring it back home and if another problem ensued, to bring it back.
    Well..fast forward to 2 years later, it has died again. I even "strolled though my apartment with it", hoping it would miraculously work again. I checked the fuse, but it appears to be fine!.
    My neighbour told me NOT to take it in for repair; told me it was a "Crap" machine and then gave me an old amp he had lying around which he claimed was much better - a bigger unit, and so very light in weight compared to my smalled Proton which weighs a ton!. Anyway, his unit is an OPTIMUS STA-2160, but I feel that the sound generated is NOT as good as my PROTON in spite of his telling me that my unit is a piece of SH-T!. And so, If there was advise to be had, do I take the risk and pay to have an estimate on my PROTON? OR call it a day and continue to use this OPTIMUS receiver..?
    Help..? (would be appreciated..)..
    LG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LG, When it comes to amplifiers, the heavier, the better. Radio Shack made some good equipment, but most were not truly high fidelity. Check back with the shop, it may be a loose solder joint somewhere. Also, look on eBay for another Proton unit. Good luck and thanks for reading my blog and commenting!

      Delete
  26. Thanks for an interesting article. I bought a Proton 520 amplifier in 1983 to replace a Sansui AU-2200, I'd never heard of the brand but after a demo in my local hifi shop I realised it was a big upgrade in sound quality compared to the Sansui. At the time I was intrigued by its cosmetic similarity to the NAD 3020, I had no idea they were manufactured in the same factory. It served me well for 5 years playing music far too loud! Cheers, Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, Thanks so much for reading my blog! Nor did I until I bought 1990's (Panor-era) Dynaco equipment and noticed the similarities. Amazing what one can find out doing research.

      Delete
  27. Thanks, very interesting read. I was looking for a simple cd player and found the Proton AC-420 and Proton AC-423. Both have had some service and the 423 has a new Toshiba laser installed. Where the laser of the 420 was only cleaned. Price for either one of them is ca €40. The 420 a little bit less. Are these two players comparable with regards to sound? Hope you are able to say something about this. Cheers, Jaap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaap. I have never tried any PROTON CD player, so cannot offer an opinion.

      Delete
  28. hello.
    can't find the 520 manual, I have the service manual. should it also do as on d540, when using the preamp.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't help but appreciate the depth of analysis in this article. The author's ability to break down complex concepts into digestible chunks is commendable. Thumbs up! Visit us - Brand amplification.

    ReplyDelete

Review of AIYIMA T2 6K4 Tube Preamplifier Can this Solid Little Asian Beauty Sing?

  March 20, 2024 #477 Gentle reader, This video takes over from the previous one here:  The Robb Collections: UPDATE Inexpensive Chinese-Mad...