JVC Wood Cone Speakers SP-EXD1 A Surprising Find Who Knew?

 October 11, 2022

#453

Gentle reader,

It's been quite a while since I found any audio items that interested me. Since I am completely happy with my listening room system as well as the more modest set of Yamaha -500U components I have stacked right next to my desktop computer.

But, a trip to the local Goodwill revealed a pair of JVC Wood Cone speakers. By component speaker size, one cannot expect much at either end of the audio spectrum, but they are heavy, solid, well built and were part of an "Executive Stereo/Video System".

I was able to find lots of these for sale on eBay, here in the US for various prices. I picked these up for $22.00 after testing them in the store.

This is the face of one of them. I did research them and found several web pages about them. Including JVC's own.

The markings done by someone at Goodwill were easily removed with an alcohol wipe.
There are some chips in the finish which bothers me not in the least. Nor does the loss of the grilles.
This image is from a current (as of this writing) sale on eBay, here in the USA. The seller wants $649 plus shipping for the set. $100 more than they retailed for in 2011.
These two images I found online. The upper one was titled: Wood Cone Speaker Kit. But, it is clearly these speakers in component form.
While this one was ripped from JVC's web page by someone else. It shows the final process used to create the wooden cone. The choice of wood after extensive testing was birch. They soaked the wood in Sake (Japanese Rice Wine) which allows the wood to be stamped without cracking.

I at first tested them in this room by placing them atop my Klipsch KG-4 speakers. They sound surprisingly good. No bass or high treble (but how much could my 66-year-old ears hear anyway?) to brag about. But, I expected that. "Now what to do with them?", I thought.


The LAST speaker find I had was a pair of Tannoy C-88 tower speakers. Shown below where I first placed them.
I was using the only vintage pair of speakers I have, Dynaco A25XLs, as rear surround speakers, but decided that was underutilizing them. So, I swapped them with the Tannoys.
The speaker cabinets of these JVC SP-EXD1 speakers weight three and a half pounds and were constructed in Japan of solid Cherry wood. Rather appropriate since the love of Cherry tree blossoms in Japan (and here in Washington, D.C. by the Tidal Basin). They have four tiny rubber feet which keep them in place. I feel they will do well as rear surrounds, especially since the drivers are much closer in plane to my ears that the tower speakers are.

Here are some links that I found about these speakers, starting with one announcing, in 2008, the upcoming line.


Here is JVC's own web page explaining the technology and other things they learned and tried in creating these and supposedly, an entire line of wood cone speakers.

JVC Wood Cone Speakers And within that page are links to bigger designs and (then) upcoming systems, such as this one: Wood Cone Speakers 2

Lastly, here is a CNET review by none other than Steve Guttenberg who knows a thing or two about good sound. JVC EX-A1 review: JVC EX-A1

I am on the lookout for the EX-A1 mini system which includes a DVD-Video/DVD-Audio player which outputs 30 WPC and was built (according to JVC) specifically to match and accent the wood cone speakers so they sound their best.

The only OTHER news regarding new audio equipment here is a Chinese designed Tube Buffer kit which uses two J61 tubes. They run on 6.3 volts and are sold in various guises and board component choices via eBay and, no doubt, other sites.
Photo is from an eBay seller. The case is clear plastic, and not wood as it seems to appear. 

I, and a friend up in D.C. were sent a kit by a mutual friend who lives in Mesa, Arizona, out of the blue. Both friends are readers of my blog and tracked me down on Facebook He wants all three of us to build the wee boards and even sprung for and sent us an extensive soldering kit. Which has a practice board among it's treasures.
I found a US seller on eBay, selling the boards assembled for well less than twenty bucks and bought one to have a completed board to work from. It is JUST the board and tubes. No case. But cases are easily found online for the kit/assembled board.

There are NO instructions with the kits, so I and our buddy were scouring the Internet to find out more. Which we did, lots of photos from all angles and even the schematic and parts descriptions including colors of each resistor.

The kits do NOT include the knob (no problem Parts Express: Speakers, Amplifiers, Audio Parts and Solutions ) OR the 12 VAC transformer. I looked and looked and trying to find the best solution, since they require more than one amp of AC (not DC) power. I found a few, which are AC/AC transformers made for home LANDLINE telephones. Parts Express was the only place that had the CORRECT one. It puts out 12 VAC at 4.17 amps which means this sucker will really amplify!

It sound's good too. Does is add the "tube sound"? I don't know. I've never owned any tube equipment. But, they are very inexpensive and unless you have extensive experience soldering components,  please buy them prebuilt. I've told you where to find the correct missing parts to make them sing.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to read my humble blog. Your doing so and your comments here (below) or via Facebook is what keeps me writing.

Scott Robb
October 11, 2022
#453


No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Yamaha A-S301 Integrated Amplifier replaces dying 1987 Yamaha Yamaha AX-500U.

  May 14, 2024 #478 Gentle reader, Since I first began the quest to have the best sounding music I could afford on my budget in the mid-1970...