Upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10 for FREE! But Hurry!

January 1, 2020
When all becomes clear.
#347

Happy New Year, gentle reader!

Once I found that one can stream YouTube on their smart Blu-ray player or smart TV, it opened up a new world of viewing and learning for me.

Windows 10
Image courtesy of Microsoft.
 
Just in case you did not know it, Microsoft's support of Windows 7 ends on the 14th of January, 2020.
 

A British chap whose YouTube channel is called Britec09, made this quick video (link above) which shows a Microsoft Windows page with links in the description below the video. The first link  is shown below.


Download Windows 10  This is the second link. Click on this link and it will show you:

"Create Windows 10 Installation Media

Beneath that is a button to:

"Download Tool Now"

Clicking on that button will open a small window. It downloads the tool and that is ALL you need to get started.

It gives you the option to put the tool on a thumb-drive or write it on a DVD-Rom disc.

OR, to upgrade the computer you are using.

Once the tool is ready, it starts downloading Windows 10. 

The program then checks the suitability of your computer to be able to run Windows 10.

Once it is ready to install Windows 10, it asks you if you want to save your programs and files or do a complete installation.

In both of my Windows 7 PC cases, I wanted to keep all of my stuff. 
In the latter choice, it wipes your drive and does a complete Windows 10 installation.

Why is it free? Microsoft wants to keep it's Windows customers. Their are millions of computers, home and professional that are still running Windows 7.

So, this loophole, which they do not advertise, was created to keep their customers happy. 

Remember, they offered Windows 10 for free for quite a while. I tried it then on a previous desktop PC and it took SO long to load Windows 10 and I did not like the way it worked. Frankly, it was an old PC that still used ATA drives.

In the case of my HP desktop PC and HP PRO laptop it downloaded  and upgraded with no problem.

Once installed, you can chose what you want to share with Microsoft. I turned everything off. 

I am sure there are YouTube videos out there showing one what they can safely turn of or remove from Windows 10 to make it easier to use and less intrusive.

My desktop PC had an old Nvidia video card that was not supported with Windows 10 drivers. It still had full color video afterwards, but at a much lower resolution. So, I had to buy a new video card. I installed it and it works wonderfully.

The HP PRO laptop's video was supported and works fine. 

HERE'S the cool thing. Unlike a PC or laptop that comes new with Windows 10, your computer works JUST LIKE it did before!

All your icons are right where they were. All your files are still there.

I did some looking around and found that Internet Explorer 11 was still there in my files. I do not like Windows 10's EDGE. I only used IE for a quick search since it opens much quicker than Mozilla Firefox does.

Since I use  AVAST internet security, VPN and other programs, they offer a version of Google Chrome that is fully secure and private. 

I found that YouTube and some Facebook videos were pixelating and pausing even with the new video card. The AVAST secure browser plays them all beautifully.

So, there you go. If you are comfortable making changes to your computer, this should be a breeze.

Have a wonderful new year!

Scott 
January 1, 2020
#347

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of AIYIMA T2 6K4 Tube Preamplifier Can this Solid Little Asian Beauty Sing?

  March 20, 2024 #477 Gentle reader, This video takes over from the previous one here:  The Robb Collections: UPDATE Inexpensive Chinese-Mad...