Panasonic LUMIX Electronic Viewfinders AC House Current Adapters for Video too.

May 4, 2019
#307

Gentle reader,

Since my last post about my beloved Panasonic Lumix Cameras:  Unintended Panasonic Lumix Camera Collection TZ3 ZS5 G1 FH25 FZ8 FZ40 ZS7 LX3 LX5 GX1 

I had put my TZ3, ZS5 and LX3 all on eBay. The first two are on their way to the new owners and the LX3 has been bid on. So, the collection is more reasonable with the ZS15 being my always-on-me camera, the LX5 mostly for indoor Internet photos as well as nature photography. The G1 and GX1 for use when more advanced photos need to be captured.

The eye-level electronic viewfinders I bought for the LX5 and GX1 have both arrived. The latter directly from Japan at a bargain price of $109.90 and ten bucks for shipping. It got here in a matter of days, extremely well packed and works perfectly. The seller's store is: japanyuichi I invite you to do business with him. I highly recommend him, his English is excellent and service is top-notch. 

The very reason I bought a GX1 (without doing the research to find out if my LX5's DMW-LVF1 would fit it) was to be able to use the new eye-level electronic viewfinder on a M4/3rds body. When I did think of finding out, it was too late, the body was on the way. Fortunately the camera was only $79 and has a low 30,000 shutter count. 
Here are the LX5 and GX1 sporting their new LVF units. I imagine creating essentially a tiny self-contained LED screen for these cameras took some doing. 
Model #1 (left) is more compact and also less capable as you will see below. Model #2 is larger in every way. The switch to choose between using it or the camera's screen is right below the viewfinder, easy to reach.
Model #1's controls are on the right side: Switch for LVF (it) or LCD, the camera's screen. Also the dial to adjust the diopter is there. This is vital for those of us with less than 20/20 vision. The image above shows just how much bigger #2 is.
The only physical flaw the DMW-LVF2 has (clearly pointed out by the excellent seller) is a tiny ding on the top right of the housing. Otherwise, it is like new.
This photo clearly shows the advantage of Model #2. It flips up AND still works! Fantastic for TLR-like viewing. Too young to know what a TLR is?
Twin-Lens-Reflex camera is what TLR stands for. This is a pre-WWII Rolleiflex camera. It had been updated by the factory to include a coated taking lens and better shutter.
The top cover of the camera opens up and one looks down into the viewing lens to compose and focus the subject.
The little lens (above) flips over for precise focusing, you look through it AND the top lens on the front of the camera.
That is a crank lever to wind the film and cock the shutter. I had that camera for years and never used it. Sigh.
Anyway, back to the DMW-LVF2, now you should understand what I mean by it being usable when at any angle between zero and 90 degrees. I've already used it as shown and it is fantastic for shooting things very close to the ground.
The diopter adjustment dial is underneath the viewfinder and only accessible when it is folded up. It fits in the circular depression with "CE" in it. This prevents it being shifted accidentally which might make one wonder why everything looks blurry all of a sudden.
That is a photo of my LX5 with all of it's accessories. I scored that model 360 flash for a bargain price of $53! I was relying on the built-in flashes and a cheap "Digital Concepts" flash which was useless for closeup work and does not tilt or zoom, some of the many things this Lumix flash does.
What, pray-tell are those things, you may be thinking. OK, probably not the "pray-tell" bit. 
If you have ever wondered what the little gray thing is on your battery/memory cover, it's an access hatch so that you can run your camera plugged into an AC outlet.
See? This one is Chinese and possibly an exact copy of a Panasonic one. But at less than $20.00, a bargain.
There have been times that I have made hundreds of images in one sitting, indoors, for articles like this or for eBay auctions.
Here, the camera is looking at it's own battery! But seriously, I have never made a video. So, with this kit, I can now do so. 

I have yet to find one for my GX1 or G1, but if they exist, I will find and buy them.

UPDATED May 13, 2019:
When I had my LX3, I had these lenses and the adapter tube. BUT, thanks to the LX3's lens working the opposite of the way one expects it to, wide angle end the lens is all the way out, telephoto it is all the way in. The results were not good.

I was able to get the official Lumix adapter from Japan. They made an official wide angle lens, x0.75 which converts the 24mm to 18mm (35mm equivalent) it is called: DMW-LWA52 Wide Angle Conversion Lens. Look for one and expect to pay BIG bucks.
 
 The back side view of the Panasonic flash.
These "X-it" lenses are cheap and the glass elements are not coated. The one above converts the LX5's Leica lens's reach to almost 200mm (35mm equivalent).
This one widens the view to around 10mm (35mm equivalent).
Above and below the wide one.

Above and below, the tele with optional shade.

It is impressive looking, but what do they deliver? Have a gander below for results taken from my chair in the living room. Not a great test, for sure, but it gives one an idea of their "performance".
This is the Leica lens at the 24mm setting, no flash. The lens is f2.0 at this end.
Vignetting at the corners due to the lens adapter tube's length. Since I have no way to try a 10mm (35mm equivalent) lens on any of my Lumix cameras, one will have to accept this result as marginal at best.
This is at the 90mm (35mm equivalent) end with flash. The lens is f3.3 at this far end.
Here it is at the 200mm (35mm equivalent) with the lens attached. Actually not too bad, especially for the price.

I have for my G1 and GX1 the 14-42 and 40-150mm Lumix lenses. Both are 28-84mm and 80-300mm (35mm equivalent) so for most shots, I am set. The LX5 and ZS15 both start at 24mm, so they are a little wider. The ZS15 has a 16X optical zoom which equates to 384mm. 

Prior to buying my G1, I had an FZ40 which lens started at 25mm and an optical zoom of 24X. That equates to 600mm! Perhaps I should have kept that one.

END of UPDATE.

That's it for this article. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to read my humble words and viewing my images.

Scott
May 4, 2019
#307
May the Forth be With You.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of AIYIMA T2 6K4 Tube Preamplifier Can this Solid Little Asian Beauty Sing?

  March 20, 2024 #477 Gentle reader, This video takes over from the previous one here:  The Robb Collections: UPDATE Inexpensive Chinese-Mad...