Comparing YASHICA GT and GTN 35mm Rangefinder Cameras

April 11, 2018
#248

Gentle reader,

By now you know about many of the collections that have been acquired by Nancy and I. You also may have detected a "slight" tendency of mine towards OCD. As some wise person once said, "Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards healing." In my case, maintaining neatness and doing things to the best of my abilities is an asset, not a liability.
YASHICA was one of the more prolific makers of rangefinder (and later SLR) cameras. In fact, a YASHICA J was the very camera I found at a church bazaar that started me collecting cameras more than twenty years ago. YASHICA formed a partnership with Germany's CONTAX camera company helping them to produce SLR cameras under both names. They both used the same mount so lenses from either would work on both. I have not had any of those cameras.

YASHICA came out with the Electro series starting in 1966. The name referring to their being electrically metered and having electrical shutters, rather than mechanical ones. They made them in various sizes with both chromed metal and all-black finishes. Their "G" series are large bodied with big and fast f1.7 lenses. The last of the line are GSN in chrome and GTN in all-black which appeared around 1974.
The previous models labeled GS and GT came out fifty years ago in 1968.
There is an excellent website that I read prior to initiating this article. I quickly saw that he has an excellent grasp on all things YASHICA. So I will limit this article to the visible differences and improvements from GS/GT to GSN/GTN. Since the all-black models are better looking to me, I have chosen these to show you.

The GT, I bought via eBay, it is in excellent condition. It was the second one that I have had. I sold off the vast majority of my camera collection a few years ago after my camera mentor, retired US Army Colonel Bill Arps passed. That is not why, one factor was that eBay was killing off camera shows which are great fun for one used to seeing only photos of desired cameras on line. The other was I realized this, "OK, you have shown you can amass and display a large camera collection. Now what?" 
Below are photos of the collection at it's peak. Not shown are the large format cameras.
This is the first reduced state. I built this cabinet originally to house Nancy's Beanie Babies collection. My first GT can be seen third row down on the right.
The final size, actually, there are several additions since my joining three camera collector/user groups on FaceBook has reignited my interest in shooting film. Thus, this small area is more crowded than I like.
Back to the subject at hand. These Yashica cameras are robust and well made. They were unique in using a large (for a camera) 5.6 volt Mercury battery. Here is a photo of the GT with the aforementioned battery as I showed it on eBay. (It sold within hours!)
The battery is about the same height as a AA but thicker. What looks like the positive terminal (and is on most dry cell batteries, center post on top) is in fact negative on these with positive being flat and slightly indented. 
I focused on the lenses for these shots. So, starting with the lenses, see any difference? Yes, COLOR was added to the front ring on the GTN. Actually, YASHICA did that many years earlier to assure buyers that their lenses were "color corrected". Why they did so for these final models, I do not know. Also, 45mm is actually closer to what our eyes see as far as width of what we see. Yet 50mm was universally used for "normal" lenses by most makers.
Those leather loops were designed to keep the strap's metal bits from rubbing on the body and fouling the finish. They came with the GTN which I found last Saturday at a thrift store for $14.99. Best camera find for me in years! It was in the case with the strap attached (incorrectly) and that Mercury battery inside the camera.
GT above, GTN below. Obvious difference is the LED is no longer there on the GTN. There is a light in a window to the right of the winding lever on the top. I'm not sure what it's for, but both have it. In the case of the GTN, it doubles as the battery check light.
Next, lets look at the bottom plates.      
Three things stand out. Battery cover is chrome on the GT and black on the GTN. Second is the baseplate on the GT (left) has a cutout where the film loads. Also, note the little silver piece on the very right side of the GT? That is pulled down to release the back cover to access the film chamber. BONUS: GT has "COPAL ELECTRIC" on the lens and GTN only has "COPAL" in a different place. Both have the same shutter to my knowledge.
The top plates have several differences: The font is different on the GTN. Next, the rewind knob has a silver handle as does the edges of the now-HOT shoe and the shutter button is also chrome on the GTN. Lastly, the meter can now handle up to ASA 1000 speed film while the GT only can handle up to ASA 500.
Finally is the left side of the camera. Despite the GTN now having a hot shoe, they retained the PC connection on the side. The little chrome lever is seen (above) on the GT. One hooks a fingernail on that and pulls down to release the back cover. On the GTN, one pulls the rewind knob upward to release the back. The other difference is the shape of the piece of metal that comprises the left edge of the camera. The GTN (below) us much plainer.
Here is the link that I mentioned at the top of the article in case you wish to learn more about YASHICA Electro 35 G series cameras:  

Thanks once again for taking the time to read my humble blog.

Scott

April 11, 2018 

  

2 comments:

  1. It's all a matter of what one wants. Condition and functionality are important.

    Thanks for reading and commenting.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU for reading it and I am very glad my article helped you.

    ReplyDelete

Review of AIYIMA T2 6K4 Tube Preamplifier Can this Solid Little Asian Beauty Sing?

  March 20, 2024 #477 Gentle reader, This video takes over from the previous one here:  The Robb Collections: UPDATE Inexpensive Chinese-Mad...