Thank YOU Dear Readers! 150,000 Page Views as of 3-12-2018! Meet Maria the Prague Ratter: Tiniest Dogs?

March 13, 2018
#240

Gentle reader,

This special chapter in my humble blog serves two purposes: First to THANK YOU for reading my blog! I never dreamt that my writing and photography world generate so much interest. Your kind words and encouragement are truly heart warming. I cannot thank you enough. Second to introduce you to one of the smallest dog breeds in the world.

We joined FaceBook because our kids were members, and since they tend to post EVERYTHING they do on FaceBook, we wanted to see what they were up to. 

Over time, I came across Groups on FaceBook and joined a multitude that interested me. Of course, there was no way FaceBook could post things from so many groups so I narrowed it down to what was currently my passion: Music listening with classic stereo equipment. Those groups became my largest readership groups. Their loyal following of my articles on the subject propelled this humble blog past 50,000 and then 100,000 page views.
I finally had a stereo (after 40+ years) that I was completely satisfied with and the bickering and sometime putdowns of audio enthusiasts in some of those groups started to get old. So, I left all of them.
One of my passions that started when I found an old Yashica J camera at a church bazaar, started me collecting and using old film cameras. I eventually sold off most of the collection and like so many, turned to digital cameras.
I do not recall how, but something sparked my getting back into film photography and I started collecting cameras again. I have bought film, but have not yet shot with any. Waiting for warm Spring weather. I wrote about this rekindled interest and posted my blog links in those FaceBook groups to enthusiastic readers. 
My latest article can be found here:Using Vintage Film Camera Lenses on Digital Camera Bodies PART TWO. This post propelled my readership to over 150,000. 
It turns out that I had deleted Part One because I had found that using classic Leica rangefinder lenses on a digital (or film) SLR camera yields only close-up photos. Since I had not kept any of the (few) images I made with that setup, I deleted the article.

And now, let me introduce you to Maria:     
Her full name is: Fraulein Maria Von Tiny Dancer. She is sitting with Heidi, one of our Dachshunds. Heidi is smaller than a standard Dachshund and a lot fatter than when my wife and daughter rescued her from the Animal Shelter. 
We were cat people. Having as many as five. I rescued three kitten sisters from my work and another that was also found at work and brought to me. While my wife had a Dachshund as a child, and my family had a Corgi long ago. Since then it was cats. Our other Dachshund, Gretchen is the typical wiener dog, reddish coat and all. Gretchen is a small, possibly a miniature Dachshund. 
Here is how Gretchen came to us. One day, Nancy came home from work and didn't come to find me as she always did. So, I went to see where she was. I found the bedroom door closed. Upon opening it, I saw her standing there. "What's going on?" I asked. "It's true what they say," she replied and pointed to her feet. A tiny puppy was standing there wagging it's tiny tail. I melted into a big man-puddle and scooped her up. That was how we became dog people. Heidi is quite a bit longer than Gretchen. I tell you this to establish the size of Prague Ratters.
Our daughter posted a photo of her new puppy, named Mini Cooper, Mini for short, on FaceBook. She was eight weeks old. My wife saw the photo, asked Bekka where she got Mini and immediately they went to the breeder. I knew nothing of this, as I knew nothing of Heidi's coming to live with us. Or Gretchen. See a pattern?
As a reference, here is my hand. Maria and Mini are over two years old now and both weigh around FOUR pounds. So, back to the story.
Nancy left, saying she was going shopping with Bekka. Sometime later, she came home, handed me an eight week old puppy and said, "Happy Birthday!" The rest is joyful history.
At first, we thought they were Miniature Pinschers, thus Maria's German name, but they stopped growing at this size. So we thought there might be micro Pinschers. But there are not. One day, I was watching YouTube and saw a video about the 10 smallest dog breeds in the world. Pražský Krysařík, Prague Ratter, in English was listed as the second smallest after some Russian breed in the video. They are native to the Czech Republic and are very rare outside of there. Apparently the breeder did not know what he had since these dogs as puppies sell for around $3,000. I am half-Czech on my mother's side. So, small world.
Mini on the left, Maria on the right.
 Mini, Gretchen, Maria & Heidi.
We have learned a lot about the breed since. They are very smart, very loyal and agile. Maria has developed a bunch of dance moves that are quite fun to watch. Mini, has come to live with us as well and Mini has been learning Maria's tricks and other activities. Mini has longer legs than Maria and their fur is slightly different. Mini's eyes are a little more buggy as well. Both are as sweet as can be, love to cuddle and are very affectionate.
Above, is a photo that Nancy made. Mini is on the left, Maria on the right. They both look just trilled to be wearing little outfits.

Finally, I've done something I rarely do, take a photo of myself. I prefer to be behind the camera as I am in the photo. I need a shave and haircut, but here I am: 
How did I get this shot? Why with a mirror, of course. It was one click in Photoshop to reverse the image so I and the camera are correctly oriented. I hate taking photos of myself and tried different expressions and poses, choosing this as the least silly or sad. The camera is my favorite of the Panasonic Lumix that I have. Best of their Leica lenses: Vario-Summarit. Sadly, even it could not make me look good.

Here are some of the shots that I had planned to use in Part One of the saga about using classic lenses on digital camera bodies:
My Leica IIIC on the left and a Soviet Zorki (Leica copy) on the right. Various lenses for both in front with a copy of the Leica Elmar 50mm f3.5 collapsible lens mounted on the Nikon here and below in close-up.

One Japanese and a bunch or Soviet copies of German lenses arrayed but never actually shot with on the Nikon.
The one on the right, in front is a "retro-focus" 35mm lens. The rear element sticks way into the body so it cannot be used on any digital body that I have tried. This fact and  the close-up only prompted one of my fellow shooters to suggest I buy a mirrorless camera body. Which I did and am enjoying learning to shoot with classic lenses on modern digital camera bodies.

Thank you again!

Scott

March 13, 2018
#240  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of AIYIMA T2 6K4 Tube Preamplifier Can this Solid Little Asian Beauty Sing?

  March 20, 2024 #477 Gentle reader, This video takes over from the previous one here:  The Robb Collections: UPDATE Inexpensive Chinese-Mad...