Stereo Speakers I have known. Part Four

Gentle reader,

Yes, I just posted part three yesterday. BTW, the page views yesterday was 172! A record for my humble, "Why are you laughing?" blog. Well, thanks to the spread of digital cameras and phones that take pictures and video, the Internet has become FULL of "look-at-me" stuff. 

Anyway, last photo in part three was of the front wall of the listening room just over a year ago. Much has changed since then, but that will have to wait as I want to finish this series on speakers I once owned and enjoyed.

Today, we start with some pics of RCA branded versions of Radio Shack's Minimus 7 speakers:

 

Remember, RCA bought into Radio Shack so all stereo and other audio equipment was either rebadged as RCA or was made by or for RCA. Below, on another pair are some nice wall brackets that are very adjustable and strong:

Here are a couple of photos of that very old Realistic (AKA Radio Shack) speaker with the electrostatic tweeter. I'm surprised I didn't save more photos of it.
You can just see the metal plates on each side of the tweeter through the grille cloth. And look at the shine in the finish below!
At a time, some of the companies, mostly Japanese, seemed to think, "more is better, bigger is too" in designing and building speakers. When I found these, I asked my wife to literally sit on them. She did so that I could go get a shopping cart.

Sansui SP-X9. Seven drivers including one with what I think was called an "acoustic lens" over the central tweeter. I think they were four-way speakers. 15" woofers, but as you can see, very shallow cabinets and short reflex tubes.

The next speakers are from the "mystery house" two doors down. We NEVER saw a human in or outside the house. It had curtains and shades and a garage. Someone was mowing the grass and trimming the hedges. Then finally, more than three years ago, a group of Asian people came and emptied the house and left a pile of mid-1980's electronics piled by the curb. Somehow, a few of them appeared here. Well, these SONY speakers below, of which I could find NO information were a part of. They are "direct-reflecting" which is BOSE's thing. They served us well until something else came along. Oh, Laser Discs while cool at the time, didn't really look much better than VHS. Just saying...
It appears the one on the left was closer to a window and faded. Below shows the front and side. They are set up similar to BOSE 301s with woofer and one tweeter on the front and a second tweeter and reflex port on the side.

 Despite the "RIGHT" label, this was the left. If I'd followed their directions, they just would not have worked.
As you can see, no model number. Below, some 1960's vintage SONY speakers. I never did try and pry off the glued on grilles.


Besides the looks, the "10W (maximum) is a giveaway to their era, when 25 watts-per-channel was the norm for a good receiver or amplifier. Speakers tended to be much more efficient then.
Next, some descendants of the above SONY speakers.

 
Now, what you all have been waiting for the thrift store find of the century, SPENDOR LS3/5A that I bought for TEN DOLLARS!




I will not explain the history of these speakers that were built under license from the BBC. You can google them. I was asked recently, "Why didn't you keep them?" Frankly, they didn't sound that great. They were designed for a very small area.

Finally, a picture I dated 1-27-12:
Just a FEW speakers! My wife, she sure does love me! And I adore her! Thanks for looking!

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of AIYIMA T2 6K4 Tube Preamplifier Can this Solid Little Asian Beauty Sing?

  March 20, 2024 #477 Gentle reader, This video takes over from the previous one here:  The Robb Collections: UPDATE Inexpensive Chinese-Mad...