Death and Destruction of A Most Unique Abandoned Home In Northern Virginia PART ONE

March 2, 2020
#361

Gentle reader,

I dedicate this article to my loving wife Nancy. Sad though the article is, she and I share many passions including the sad story of this once beautiful home. She is 55 today.

This begins a series of articles which left off here:
and here is the original article:

We have an old Ford Ranger pickup which sits 99% of the time. So, weekly, I take it for a spin, which is how I first saw the property. The first photo I made of it was through the truck's windshield.
We knew the property was sold in January for $3,795,000 for almost forty acres. So we decided to document the house and land before THIS began.
I have learned that the Preston Trucking Company went out of business YEARS ago. So, the trailer is being used possibly by the logging company.
That piece of plywood is new as are the permits on it.
Not sure why that door has a Hazmat warning label on it.
Those pallets are for the heavy trucks to drive across and not bog down. We have been having a lot of rain this winter rather than snow.
As I started driving away after this shot. I saw there is a cleared area to the right (West) of here. Perhaps the builders will set up their construction trailers there once the land is "cleared". 

I hate development that is not needed. There are no shortage of homes, new and previously lived in, for sale or rent around here. In fact, right next door is a house for rent!

So, this wanton destruction (and death of the innocent trees) is unnecessary and purely driven by greed. 

At least, they are trucking the logs away. I sends me over the edge when they simply shred the innocent trees. At least some of them will find a use as lumber. 

My mother informed me when I told her about this house and that the trees are being felled, that in Georgia, before trees can be removed from one's property, officials will come and measure those trees and one MUST plant equivalent trees elsewhere on the property so that the carbon footprint of the land remains neutral. This should be a worldwide law.

I will close with this, since I've been ranting about trees: 

You may not be aware of this, but all plants ABSORB carbon from the air and STORE it within themselves. They breathe in carbon dioxide through their leaves and breathe out OXYGEN.

The worst thing that can be done to wood is to BURN it! All that stored carbon and other dangerous chemicals are released through the smoke.

Scott
March 2, 2020
#361

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of AIYIMA T2 6K4 Tube Preamplifier Can this Solid Little Asian Beauty Sing?

  March 20, 2024 #477 Gentle reader, This video takes over from the previous one here:  The Robb Collections: UPDATE Inexpensive Chinese-Mad...