Bought the ultimate SLEEPER car: Volvo V50 T5. Yes, a station wagon!

Gentle reader,

First off, a "SLEEPER" is an unassuming looking car that has speed and performance hidden inside. When seen in traffic or at a stop light, no one would suspect it's potential to "blow the doors off" of their own vehicle. 

When I was 16, my dad, may he rest in peace, pretty much forced me to go take the Colorado driver's examination. I told him I hadn't studied. So we went and I failed. This would have been 1972 or so. I was saving my money from my first job at a Mobil gas station. $1.65 an hour was minimum wage then. Plus, I didn't like station wagons! After many years of VW buses, they finally bought an American car: 1973 AMC Matador wagon. Pretty blue, but that's all I could say for it.

There WAS one station wagon in Denver that I would have gladly owned and would STILL love to have. Called a "300" by Chevrolet. It was a TWO_DOOR station wagon. Same basic body as their El Camino which was a pickup car based on the midsize Chevelle. The 300 was only made in 1964 and 1965. Historically, aside from the 1955-1957 Nomad which was a sporty fastback two-door wagon, they also sold a less expensive two-door wagon. I don't remember what they were called.

Well, over time and having kids, I came to own a few wagons: 1974 Chevy Vega (two-doors, four cylinder with four-speed manual trans.), 1975 Ford Torino, 1973 Chevy Laguna, and 1988 Chevy Caprice. The last one, had a 305 cubic inch Oldsmobile V8 with a Quadrajet four-barrel carburetor. I got those massive secondary barrels open one time before the computer realized it and slammed them shut. 

I forgot the most recent one and my first turbo (the V50 is my forth): 2002 Subaru WRX wagon in WRC blue. And before that one, "G-G" as the kids named it: 1985 Dodge Aries wagon. Red with red velour interior. Loved that car!



G-G would have been perfect if it had a manual transmission AND I could have gotten it to pass emissions testing!






The Subie was fun, and my wife was right, now that I look at the pictures. It wasn't much of a wagon. But still......

Since then, there have been many wagons that I've admired, Vovlo 1800ES which was a sleek two-door that the British refer to as a "Shooting Brake". Weird name, I know. Lately, they made a Jaguar X-type wagon that is gorgeous. Cadillac not only made their first wagon, a CTS, but one can or could get a "V" version with a supercharged V8 and six-speed manual trans! The Oldsmobile Vista Cruisers and  Buick's version called Sport Wagon are nice looking and desired by many. I have, in fact a book called, Station Wagons

But enough about historical or present day wagons or as the British call them, Estate Cars. I've admired other Volvos, especially the V70 line, the top of which was the V70 R which is all-wheel drive with a T5 turbocharged five cylinder engine with 300 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque. Electronically limited to 155 mph. We test drove the lesser, but still fun, V70 T5 with a five speed stick, but the seller wouldn't come down on the price. We were looking at a used V40 Volvo at a used car dealer, but sadly, even though they are all 1.6 liter turbo four cylinders, they only have automatic transmissions. That day and that dealer is where we found and bought the Capri XR2 four years ago, next month.

Now, to the present, my wife said she'd feel better if I was driving something, "from this Century." So I began a search. I drove: 2000 Honda Insight hybrid, cool car! Mazda 6 sedan, Mazda RX8, liked that one! Mini Cooper S, loved that one! Ford Focus SVT, and a couple other ones. I found a one-owner 2005 Volvo V50 T5 with six-speed manual transmission at Auto Buying Service:
I really liked everything about the car and bought it. It was well taken care off and had records to prove it. In like-new condition as you will see.

I never would have chosen a grey vehicle! But talk about NOT sticking out in traffic! They call it "Slate Grey". Below, you can see the V50's size relevant to the Capri XR2's. 
Nice clean, sleek front end. Can't tell if the headlights are HID or halogen. Like the Audi TT we had, the high beams are MUCH brighter than the low beams.


The only subtle clues to it's potential for speed is the "T5" emblem and dual tailpipes.
Versatile five doors. Note below, the "floating stack" which houses the radio and HVAC controls.
I love the three-tone interior, it's light and airy and made from sturdy fabrics rather than needy leather. Plenty of backseat leg room.

How DO they make those marks so precisely when vacuuming?

Above, the six-speed "stick" and floating center stack. Behind is ideal for a book on CD box, although a trash bin was an option for that location. Below, the proper number of pedals.
Below, the potent 218 horsepower, 236 pound-feet of torque turbocharged five-cylinder 2.5 liter engine. Properly setup with the intake in the front and exhaust in the back. Intake air enters a scoop to the right of that yellow sticker at the bottom of the photo, through the air filter and to the rear and though the turbocharger. From there, the hot pressurized air travels to the front below the bumper and through the intercooler. From there, up into the intake (right behind that same yellow sticker). See the little vent in the lower right (8 openings) air from the radiator fan is sent through a passage inside the hood to the little rectangular opening that is the battery cover. This sends cooling air to the battery. I've never seen anything like it.
Below, sensible 16" wheels with the first set of Michelin tires I've ever had. I hope they last, because at $135.00 a piece at Tire Rack.com, they will probably be my last!
Now, lest you are not convinced that the V50 is a performance car, take a look at the two articles below about the upcoming V60 wagon/S60 sedan. The V60 replaces the V50 AND V70 wagons. It falls between the two in size. 

So, you may be thinking, "OK, that Polestar V60 looks awesome, but my minivan has more horsepower than your grey Volvo." Possibly true. But the "anonymous grey" Volvo has the top engine available and the six-speed borrowed from the S60-R. It is a performance car in every sense important to me and disappears in traffic. I LOVE it!

That's it for now. Thanks again for taking the time to read my humble blog!

Scott


8 comments:

  1. Cool find!
    This is one of the few vehicle that offer easy to remove headlights (at least in this day), so one can easily replace bulbs or check to see what lighting system is being used.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Krv8Gw_DQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. I too feel that I was meant to find and buy it.

      Delete
  2. My husband purchased a Subaru WRX a few years ago, and it was definitely a sleeper car. We were looking for something to haul our kids around in and something that was more of a family car. He loved the looks that he would get as he blew past people at stoplights! I think the power he had behind the wheel made him feel better about driving a family car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. Nice story about your husband and the WRX. I think most minivan and SUV drivers would be perfectly happy with a wagon. Before there were those types of vehicles, the station wagon ruled here and abroad. My wife recently traded her Scion TC for a '14 Ford Escape and likes that it sits higher, easier to get in to and out of. I admit when I drive my Ford Ranger (1997), it is easier to see forward as well.

      Delete
  3. Hi Scott - glad you discovered the fun V50 T5.The same engine was used in the European Focus ST and RS models, both very high performance cars. I have a 2004 V50 T5 SE too. It's amazing and barely run in with 134k miles. The interior is like new and there's no rust after 12 British winters. The previous owner to me who had it from new took it to Norway, Finland, German and it's native Sweden on several occasions during his ownership so my old girl has certainly got around Europe and never missed a beat.

    You should join www.volvotuning.net online or on Facebook as it's a great community for Volvo lovers. That's if you stil have you lovely V50.

    Cheers, and great article. Richie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richie, Thanks for your comments on V50s. I did not know that Ford was using Volvo engines in Focus's or is it Foci? Mine is a great car and I plan to keep it a long time.

      Delete
  4. Here comes a long comment in 2018 :) As a fellow V50 T5 (2005)-owner I like your labelling of it as a "SLEEPER".

    Got it about a month ago after not having a car for about 13 years (live in Sweden, easy access to bus, train etc where I live and commute). My long-time girlfriend needed a car for her new work and it had to be purchased within a few days and I was absent at the car-search/purchase as I was away working in another part of Sweden. Had no actual plans or specifications for a specific car, but in retrospect I am very happy that it fell on a well taken-care-off T5 (as in your case) with a lively engine. It is a true SLEEPER.

    Now, with the risk of appearing like a real oddball, I have to comment on how I found my way here by two coincidences by internet searches and two of your blog articles.
    First, in August I bought a diecast car of a Volvo 145 at a huge toystore in Osaka, Japan while there on vacation. A present to my grandfather as his father had one of those (man lived long, and drived it well into the 1990s until he was not able to drive anymore). Now, recently becoming a V50-owner and on my way to deliver this diecast to my grandfather, I just had to google around for curiosity... are there any diecast V50s out there? Found your article about the Volvo diecasts and the V50 -and also the coincidence (1) that you also got that yellow 145! =) Anyway, also saw that you wrote something about the V50 that it looked like your V50... Could this guy actually also own a V50? - Yes, coincidence (2).

    Anyhow, my Swedish edition of the T5 2005 looks more similar to the diecast. Those rails on the roof for instance and the rims of my winter-tires are a exact match. My summer-tire rims are the same as yours though.
    Also the radiator-front is different, mine is metallic as in the diecast. Interesting to see that your US-version (of the real car) don't have visible parking sensors at the rear bumper. I have four visble circles.

    Well, nough written. Thanks for good reading and hope your V50 is still going strong (and fast)!

    Mats
    Uppsala, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mats, How wonderful a coincidence! I am just now going through my 309 posts to see if I need to reply to comments. Sorry it took so long. I recently found out the V50s were made in Belgium! Nothing wrong with that, car companies have factories all over the place. My Audi TT was made in Hungary. Who knew? Wonderful to hear from a Swede. Aside from wonderful cars and blondes, my other loved Swedish export are the Girl with the dragon tattoo series. David Lagercrantz has done a wonderful job continuing the series! Take care and stay warm during winter.

      Scott

      Delete

Review of AIYIMA T2 6K4 Tube Preamplifier Can this Solid Little Asian Beauty Sing?

  March 20, 2024 #477 Gentle reader, This video takes over from the previous one here:  The Robb Collections: UPDATE Inexpensive Chinese-Mad...